No Photoshop, just Instagram

@chrispytine on Twitter and Instagram

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Preparing for Amazing Borneo

I've done some pretty amazing things in my life time. I first started being adventurous when i was dark skinned kid dressed in cringe worthy fashion. My mum would dress me in lace and frills, but i would opt for elastic shorts with Hawaiian prints.
As i grew up, i tried my hand at other pretty amazing AND scary things like glacier climbing, bungee jumping and sky diving in New Zealand.
Or climbing Mt Ophia with the school and jumping off a cliff plunging into the waterfall.

The most recent that i've scaled was Mt Batur, a dormant volcano in Bali.
I thoroughly enjoyed that one, and it was exciting as it's my first climb in the dark!

I'm stoked to be given the chance to climb with Amazing Borneo Tours this time for Mt Kinabalu. I've been given a list of items to prepare, and it includes a head lamp. Lots of trekking in the dark, i was told.  Starting the ascend in the dark and at a stealthy speed is essential to catch sun rise, a sight to behold, i'm sure.
Next month, i'll have the ORIGINAL picture.
I didn't want to be the one in the group to hold other climbers back, so i've been upping my training regime.

6 weeks counting down to my departure, i had a personal trainer doing circuit training with me once a week (John, a Philippine from True Fitness @ Chevron is the best), hot yoga on Saturday and Sunday.

All my friends who've climbed Mt Kinabalu all said it's gruelling and they won't do it again. One even showed me his broken through and through after-climb sports shoes. Got so jialat not?!

I think i'm quite ready for it!
Meanwhile, my 60 year old dad who's coming with me, is merely climbing the stairs of the 32 storey HDB as his training regime.

That's his abs photo bombing my picture.
Who'll fare better?

Locals begin climbing the mountain from the age of 3 and the oldest person to reach the peak was 80 years old. However, how much one enjoys the climb depends strongly on how fit you are and how well you acclimatise to the thin air at the higher levels.

The mountain can be a dangerous place, especially during the rain or when there is mist. On average, every year one person gets into severe difficulty out of the estimated 20,000 people who attempt the climb. The higher slopes can be very slippery when it rains and dense fog reduces visibility to a few feet. Wikitravel made it sound unnerving but all the more exhilarating!
I'm a scavenger collecting the items for the impending trip. How timely, some of the necessary items for the trip like rain coat and haversack came via media events. 
The Heineken can is a portable speaker, music for entertainment in the mountains?
Energy drink Take 5ive is going to be my power booster.
Because it's going to be cold and windy at the top, winter socks and hats are also recommended.

Amazing Borneo Tours have a VERY comprehensive FAQ about the climb and they have also planned for me to white water raft, dive, visit the cultural village and not forgetting shopping! I can't imagine a place where it can get so cold, be a beach place the next.
I can't wait to set foot in amazing Borneo. 16 more sleeps!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think u will love it.
Beautiful place and wonderful experience when you stand on the peak of mount KK.
I being there twice and I will be back again for sure.

Ps: if u r a certified diver, Layang Layang and Sipadan Island will be also the place u do not want to miss :p

Anonymous said...

Thx for the encouragement! Its my virgin trip, am looking forward. Yes i am a certified diver, heard sipadan is wirld's best but wot have time this time round.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...